Wednesday 3 February 2016

Can writers be mates and should they be?

I've always thought of myself as someone who doesn't like other writers. i even used to say to myself and other people things like 'I don't play well with others' the main reason was when i was trying to do my first book, like four years ago, i went to some meet up groups for writers and they we're just so shit.

The idea of reading a story to a group of 20 people and them telling you their thoughts is fucking horrible. So i just got on with doing my own thing. I now have people who read my stuff and give it reviews and things. I don't really have fans, they never actually email me or stuff, but i think their are some people who want to read what i write. Anyway point is i'm confident to call myself a 'writer' now i have written a couple of books.

So i'm calling myself a writer, i've done pretty well on kindle and my lovely girl, vicky, says her mate caz (caroline peckham) is coming to stay for a few weeks. Caz is one of vicky's best mates and i'm told she also a fantasy writer. She even has a book on Amazon. So i'm thinking we're not going to get along at all.

The thing is caz and me are now mates and i think having a writer buddy, at a similar level to you can be very good. We're both at the stage of having books out and hitting promo hard. We talk endlessly about sales numbers, promo and all that stuff. I add her to facebook groups, she adds me. I promo her and she helps me. It's good because when she does well, i'm happy for her and a bit jealous, so i push myself harder.

I think writers can be mates and should be, but you need to be at the same level of the creative process. I wrote my first book four years ago, now i can write a new one with no plan and no real internal struggle, so i can't help newbies very well. I remember having the thoughts, oh it's going to be shit, just do it anyway. Now i still think that, but i don't care. My new book might be shit compared to George. r.r but it'll be good compared to 90% of everything on kindle.

If you're a writer, get a promo pal, it's more fun than doing it alone and if they get famous before you, they will hopefully drag you along with them.

If my shit is too dark for you or you feel like some YA action, read caz's book.








No comments:

Post a Comment